POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Strange thing with layered texture : Strange thing with layered texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Strange thing with layered texture
From: Hugo
Date: 8 Mar 2002 05:05:36
Message: <3c888cf0$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

As suggested by Ron Parker, I'll report my observation here. My original
post in the p.general group didn't give any feedback but maybe I didn't
explain it so well.

There's something strange with layered textures. I'll call it a flaw until
someone convince me it's not. The way reflection is transmitted through
layers doesn't work, with any POV version. Reflection is either transmitted
with full strength through all layers, or not at all.. Let me illustrate:

camera { location -4*z look_at 0 }
light_source { <-25,25,-25>, 1.5 }

#declare Texture_1=texture {
  pigment {rgb <1,1,1> }
  finish { specular 1 reflection 1 }
}

#declare Texture_2=texture {
  pigment { rgbt <0,0,1, 0.2> }
}

sphere { 0,1 texture { Texture_1 } texture { Texture_2 } }
plane { 1*y,-2 pigment { checker rgb 1 rgb .5 } }

As you will see, pigment and specular of Texture_1 is only 0.2 after
Texture_2 has been added, but reflection still goes through the layer at
full strength of 1.. I see no purpose in this behaviour. You can try to
change the transmit value and see how the rest of the texture behaves in a
different way as reflection.

Best regards,
Hugo